Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Yes, we hate them. They mean anyone can follow us anywhere and at anytime. No corner of the earth seems to be free from them. One even followed my father on Hajj and even when he dropped it at Mina amongst the millions of people someone found it and rung him. Yes, its the mobile phone.

Unfortunately I own up to having one, I have to, as I realise my 3 year old nephew knows what to do with a SIM card before I do. It's hard work keeping up with kids these days. But IS IT SAFE? According to the research available to us...

"Clinical bottom line (2003)
There is no convincing evidence linking mobile phone use to cancers of the head. What evidence we have points to there being no link, though what cannot be excluded is long-term heavy use of mobile phones, with a long latency for cancer development.

There is evidence of a small increased risk of leukaemia with occupational exposure to electromagnetic fields."

Time will tell I suppose.

Mobile phones, magnetic fields, and cancer
http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Cancer/mobmagca.html

No comments: